Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Introduction

My husband has been self-employed most of his adult life. He has taught our children to do a variety of tasks, some of which can be traded for $$$$ (jobs) -- all of which will come in handy when they are home owners, and when helping others . Over the years our children have earned money in many different endeavors. I'll share a few adventures: The first lemonade stand earned my daughter over $10 an hour (this was years ago).

The biggest financial failure -- a son trying to sell firewood in the summer (in the rain) in FLORIDA -- but it was a learning experience, for sure!

One of the best stories: David, age 17, bought a trailer he saw for sale in the neighborhood (cost $35). He asked me to buy spray paint for him so he could fix it up (a minor cannot buy spray paint in FL -- LOL). He fixed the trailer up, put a sign on it and sold it for $200 in less than 24 hours. All of the adventures haven't been financially successfully, but they have certainly all been educational! David bought a truck off Ebay that was located in NY. He and his brother had a great road trip to NY and back, having NO idea how many tolls they would be required to pay (charged by the axle, driving a truck WITH a trailer).

When David was 16 and Jonathan 14 a man in our church hired them to turn an outbuilding into a bath house, complete with bathroom. We were out of town that week teaching worldview seminars so dad wasn't available to consult or help in any way. They made a few mistakes (nothing major) but did a great job!

Our children have been paid to baby sit, house sit, do yard work, clean, do office work, etc. and in addition to these jobs most of the children have actively been involved in our businesses. I'll share some more stories in future blogs. Perhaps my children will write in with some of their stories (be nice to mama!).

What prompted the making of this blog? The decision that it will be fun to work together as a family, earning money! The children will have a greater appreciation of investment, risk taking, gas prices, profits and loss, if they are closely involved in this project.
Realizing that the kiddos will face such a challenge with excitement I decided to blog our experience. Kimmy (who will turn 17 next Tuesday) is in Guatemala and Courtney's at camp in TN but they will return this weekend and our adventure will begin!

Actually, it has already begun because we purchased a few items at the Good Cents store (thanks to my daughter Kelley's enthusiastic exclamations of 'You could sell this on Ebay!' every time we visited the store.) We've accumulated a few things to sell and will put them on Craigslist or Ebay once Kimmy returns (she knows how to do the Ebay thing, I don't and with knowledge comes responsibility to I don't plan to learn -- I'd rather delegate). Buying and selling will be one of the ways we'll work together to earn money. We'll also allow Kimmy to continue babysitting, cleaning, etc. (aren't we nice?) because she still needs some money for Summit!

Having decided to do this I went by the Good Cents store at 2:00 today. I bought a few items for family and friends, some books and movies to take to my favorite used bookstore (which I can turn in for cash as well as trade), and I also bought TWO items that I'm very excited about. I bought a pair of almost brand new LaCrosse hunting boots which retail for $90 (mol) and I only paid $1. I also bought Sony software for making videos for only $1 and it retails for $75! I've already posted them on Craigslist (because I know how and there's no fee or shipping involved), but if they don't sell that way, they'll go on Ebay.

I also plan to have Kimmy take a lesson from someone who is doing the fiddledeedee.blog.blogspot.com suggestions so that she can learn to do what my friend Sheila's amazing daughter-in-law is doing every month.

Any and all suggestions, challenges, and great ideas are welcome! Who knows, perhaps this adventure will end up in a follow-up book to "Plant a Seed, Grow an Entrepreneur"!




5 comments:

Meg in Tally said...

Wahoo! I'm your very first comment!

So now you're a blogger...what ELSE can Wonder-Woman do?

Since I'm an OLD, EXPERIENCED, blogger...I'll tell you that if you don't allow "Anonymous" a lot of people won't be able to leave you a comment because they don't have the gmail account or other types of accounts you've left available.

Also, if you leave that "Word Verification" bot on...Tammy B. can't leave comments cause she just can't deal with it!! LOL!!

Good Job, Wonder-Woman!

Mamajil said...

SO YOU JOINED THE BLOGGING CIRCUIT!
I ENJOYED YOUR POST IT MADE ME THINK OF SOME OF MY SON JOSHUA'S VENTURES
BLOG-ON YOU HAVE MY ATTENTION!

Laura said...

So glad to see your blog! I look forward to keeping up with you through it.

Kelley said...

Are you SURE you want to give yourself more competition by telling everybody how easy/fun it is to buy stuff from the Goodsense store and sell it on Ebay? J/K I'm sure we'll all enjoy reading about your latest adventures.

Anonymous said...

This sounds like such fun and a great way for the children to learn. We have just arrived in America and my oldest son's summer project is ebay!

We'll watch your blog for more great posts.